Tasty HFG burgers
- 450g lean beef mince
- 1 cup cooked beans, chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, lentils (your choice), or 1 can (I used Ceres mixed salad beans)
- 1 carrot
- 1 courgette
- ½ large onion
- 6 hamburger buns (whole grain are good)
- 6 tablespoons hummus of your choice
- 6 teaspoons tomato salsa or chutney
- 2 cups salad greens
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- salt and pepper
1 Put the mince in a large bowl. Drain the can of beans. Grate the carrot and courgette and add to the meat.
2 In a food processor or blender, mince the onion. Add the beans and process until you have a smooth purée (or chop the onion finely and mash the beans by hand).
3 Add this mixture to the meat and using clean hands, mix it all together until well blended. Form the mixture into burger patties – this should make at least 6, or more if you like them smaller.
4 Cook the burgers either on the barbecue or under a hot grill in the oven until well-cooked (test with a skewer – juices should run clear).
5 Spread buns with hummus and salsa, and construct your burgers with the cooked meat patties, lettuce and tomato.
- By including beans and vegetables in the meat patties and using wholemeal rolls, we’ve increased the fibre from 3.7g to 7.8 g per burger.
- This patty mixture also works well for meatballs.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9.5g
–Saturated fat 2.9g
Dietary fibre 7.8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information