Supergrain beetroot and tofu open burgers
Time to make: 35 mins , plus 30 mins chilling
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1/2 cup millet
1/2 cup red quinoa
400g can no-added-salt brown lentils, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup grated beetrootbeetsX
1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
3/4 cup drained, roughly crumbled tofu
1/4 cup mixed seeds (we used sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
1 1/2 red onions, 1/2 roughly chopped, 1 sliced in rings for assembly
2 tablespoons garam masala
1 cup quick cook rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
3 wholegrain burger buns, halved
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons sriracha sauce, plus optional extra drizzle
6-8 cos lettuce leaves plus
4 cups shredded iceberg
4 large tomatoes, sliced
2 cups alfalfa sprouts
4 tablespoons vinaigrette (made with 2 parts vinegar or lemon juice and 1 part olive oil)
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 14g
- In a large saucepan place millet, quinoa and 2 1/2 cups cold water. Cover and bring to boil. Remove lid and cook on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring often, until grains are sticky and soft and water is absorbed. Drain in a sieve and set aside.
- In a food processor process lentils, beetroot, soy sauce, tofu, seeds and first measure of red onion until they form a moist pink mix (about 1 minute).
- Add garam masala, cooked grains, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pulse until just combined.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. On a large plate, place rolled oats. Lightly oil your hands and form six balls with the mixture. Roll each ball through the oats, then place on prepared tray and press down to form patties. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Spray each patty lightly with oil. Place tray in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm and cooked through. While patties are cooking, toast burger bun halves.
- In a small bowl combine sour cream and sriracha. Spread over bun halves. Layer burger patties, cos leaves, half the onion rings, half the tomato and half the sprouts across buns.
- In a bowl combine shredded lettuce, remaining tomato and red onion, and sprouts. Add vinaigrette and toss, to make a side salad. Serve burgers immediately with salad and extra sriracha drizzle, if desired.
Make it vegan: Use a vegan sour cream alternative and check buns are vegan.