Red lentil vegetable dhal
Time to make: 50 mins
( Hands-on time: 15 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 leek, tough green end removed
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil or canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried red lentils, washed, drained (see tip)
- 1/2 x 400g can light coconut milk
- 600ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pumpkin, skin and seeds removed (500g flesh)
- 400g green beans, cut in short lengths
- 4 wholemeal roti, to serve
Total fat 15g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 12g
1 Cut leeks in half lengthways, cut in half again lengthways then slice finely. Heat a medium-sized saucepan to high and add oil. Add sliced leek. Stir to toss then lower heat. Cook for a few minutes until soft. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add curry powder and cinnamon and stir over heat for 1 more minute.
2 Add lentils to saucepan and pour in coconut milk and water. Add salt. Bring to the boil, stir then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
3 Cut pumpkin in even-sized 2cm pieces. Add to dhal. Stir, return to the boil then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 12 more minutes. Add beans, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Serve as is with fresh roti, flat bread or steamed rice.