HFG muesli bars
(at time of publication)
- oil spray
- 3 cups rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup prunes, chopped
- ¼ cup linseeds (flaxseeds)
- 110g reduced-fat spread
- 400g can lite sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt-or-sugar peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
1 Heat oven to 170ºC. Grease and line a 30cm x 21cm baking tray. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
2 Place spread, condensed milk, peanut butter and honey in a small heavy-based pan over a low heat. Carefully stir. Once melted, simmer for 1-2 minutes until it begins to thicken.
3 Pour melted mixture into bowl of oat mixture. Stir well until combined.
4 Press into prepared tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden on top. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
5 Once cooled, remove from tray and use a sharp knife to cut in squares or bars.
Makeover! You save…
2g total fat
4g sat fat
What we did
- Swapped butter for reduced-fat spread
- Reduced honey
- Reduced peanut butter
- Removed sugar
- Swapped toasted muesli for rolled oats
- Banana and choc chip: In step 1, add 1/2 cup extra oats to dry mixture. After step 3, fold through 1/2 cup mashed banana and 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips.
- Fruit and nut: Replace sunflower and sesame seeds with chopped nuts and replace prunes with sultanas.
These muesli bars will keep in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us