Creamy Jerusalem artichoke soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup peeled and chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrot
- 2 bay leaves, lightly crushed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, sliced
- 1kg Jerusalem artichokes, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 400g can cannellini beans
- chopped chives, to garnish
- ¼ cup lite sour cream, to garnish
- 4 slices wholegrain or seeded sourdough bread, to serve
1 In a large pot, heat half of the oil over medium. Add onion, celery, carrot and bay leaves and cook for 2-3 minutes until tender. Add garlic and cook for another minute before adding Jerusalem artichokes, stock and 3 cups water.
2 Cover and continue to cook for another 20 minutes until the artichokes have begun to break down.
3 Purée the soup using a stick blender or in a food processor. Add beans and heat through for another 5 minutes. Drizzle with remaining olive oil, garnish with chives and a dollop of sour cream and serve with bread on the side.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check stock and sour cream are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use Massels Chicken Stock Powder and Zenzo Sour Cream. Check bread is vegan.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 16g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information