Bunless Mexican burgers
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
500g kumara, cut into thin wedges
1 tablespoon olive oil
20g packet fajita or Mexican spice mix
1 small onion, grated and squeezed
400g lean beef mince
400g can red kidney beans in spring water, rinsed, drained and roughly mashed
2 cloves garlic, grated
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
225g can sliced beetrootbeetsX, drained
2 cups baby rocketarugulaX
1/3 cup tomato salsa, to serve (optional)
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 11g
- Preheat oven to 210°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl, combine kumara, olive oil and 3 teaspoons of the spice mix. Stir to coat. Transfer to the baking tray and arrange in a single layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking, or until kumara is tender.
- Meanwhile, in the same bowl, place onion, mince, remaining spice mix, mashed kidney beans and garlic. Mix until thoroughly combined, using your hands if needed. Divide mixture into 4 portions and shape into 10cm patties.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Add the patties to the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for 8-10 minutes, turning once, or until cooked through.
- Divide kumara wedges among 4 plates and top with burger patties, tomato slices and beetroot. Top with rocket and serve with a little tomato salsa on the side.
Make it gluten free: Check spice mix and salsa are gluten free.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us