Bibimbap with grilled lamb and kimchi ketchup
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
130g lamb leg steak, diced 2cm (see tips)
3/4 cup brown rice
1/4 cup tomato purée
1/4 cup kimchi
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
2 cups finely sliced Swiss brown mushrooms
1 carrot, julienned
2 cups roughly chopped gai lan, spinach or silver beet leaves
1 cup broccoli florets
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds, to serve
Total fat 21g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 9g
- In a shallow bowl, combine soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil, brown sugar and garlic. Add lamb and stir to coat. Set aside to marinate.
- In a pot, cover rice with 1 cup water. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes, until rice is tender.
- In a food processor, whizz tomato purée, kimchi and maple syrup, adding enough water to make a ketchup textured sauce.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining teaspoon of sesame oil in a pan over a high heat. Add mushrooms and stir-fry until cooked. Remove from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- Add carrot to pan and cook, stirring, until tender – about 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Steam or microwave broccoli and gai lan until tender. Remove from steamer or microwave and set aside.
- Remove lamb from marinade. Discard marinade. In a pan, cook lamb over a high heat for 2 minutes, tossing until browned. Remove from pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- Spray pan with oil and fry eggs over a medium-high heat until cooked to your liking.
- To assemble, divide rice between 2 large, wide bowls. Top with vegetables, lamb, kimchi ketchup and egg. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with extra kimchi, if desired.
Make it vegan: Use tofu instead of lamb, omit egg and check kimchi is vegan.
If you’re planning to make Wednesday and Thursday night’s Spicy lamb soup and Kimchi fried rice, cook 2/3 cup extra rice and 2 extra lamb steaks totalling 200g (keep whole and pan fry). Set these aside to make cooking the other dishes quick.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us