(at time of publication)
- 200g reduced-fat spread, softened
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 1 cup plain flourall purpose flourX
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups cornflakes
- oil spray
- 1 cup icingfrostingX sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 30 (about ⅓ cup) walnut halves
1 Preheat oven to 180°C . Cream spread and sugar until light and fluffy. In a small bowl mix flours and cocoa together then add to spread mixture. Fold in corn flakes.
2 Spoon mounds of mixture onto a greased baking tray, gently pressing together and flattening. Bake at for about 15 minutes or until set. Cool on a rack.
3 To make icing, sift icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Mix vanilla and water together. Pour into icing sugar and stir until combined. Spread on top of cold afghans and top each with a walnut half.
Makeover! You save…per serve
110kJ or 26 cal
2g total fat
3g sat fat
What we did
- Replaced butter with reduced-fat spread
- Used some wholemeal flour
- Reduced amount of cocoa
- Halved the quantities of icing ingredients and omitted butter
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free baking mix instead of flours, and check cocoa and cornflakes are gluten free.
- Try using sultana bran flakes instead of corn flakes for a non-traditional but equally delicious version.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us