Add the fresh and tasty zing of lime to dressings, sauces and marinades.
Availability: Year-round, depending on variety. Imported limes are available but local limes are plentiful from May to September.
Buying: Choose firm limes with yellow to lime-green, unblemished skin.
Storing: Limes can be stored in or out of the fridge in cooler weather.
Preparation: Wash and dry well, and use as required.
Ideas for using limes
- Mix lime juice, fish sauce, chilli and sugar (to your taste) for a delicious dipping sauce for chicken or seafood. And it's a great sauce over rice with Thai food.
- Lime juice and zest give guacamole a real zing. Add to taste.
- Replace lemon juice with lime juice in a vinaigrette for a tasty twist. It's especially nice on leafy green salads. Add fresh coriander to the salad, too.
- Bake fish fillets in paper parcels with lime slices, sliced ginger and garlic. The fish will steam and take on the delicious flavours and fragrance.
- Marinate chunks of white fish in lime juice overnight. To serve, add lite coconut milk, coriander, tomato and spring onion.